Thursday, January 3, 2008

Two Things

- I believe the little lady and I have a date - June 21. Having an actual date makes it seem...real.

- I have made a conscious choice not to caucus tonight. I am completely and totally burned out in regards to the 2008 election. I get 20+ pieces of campaign mail a week. I see 3 political ads during every break in local programming. I think Mike Gravel even stumped in my living room last week. I'm not sure.

Maybe other people are fired up this year, but count me out. None of the candidates truly excite me, and having Clinthompsobamabee shoved down my throat on a constant basis has killed my desire to care.

NEVERTHELESS...your RHS endorses Chris Dodd and John McCain this year. I had been leaning towards Bill Richardson before the focus of his campaign became "get the troops out in a year". Iowans have finely tuned B.S. detectors, Bill, and most of us recognize your promise for what it is. Likewise with John Edwards (for whom I caucused in 2004) and his "we'll get those companies to stop sending jobs overseas!" pledge.

Chris Dodd is not only level-headed and occasionally bi-partisan, he has done nothing to offend me during the run up to the caucus. John McCain had the good taste to not bother with Iowa at all. He even still says he's AGAINST farm subsidies - what other candidate on either side would have the guts to say that this time of year? - and more importantly to me, he isn't dragging his religious beliefs around on a chain. (No, I do not care for Mike Huckabee. Thank you for your concern.)

For this, Chris Dodd and John McCain earn Your RHS's Seal of Approval. However, if you're caucusing and you really want my opinion on the matter? No Preference is the way to go. You won't be a viable group and you'll have to pick a candidate anyway, but it might make you feel better about things.

3 comments:

Gilmore Girls Guy said...

I'm sorry to hear you are filled with such ennui for the caucuses. I'll tell you three things I do that help me deal with the campaign deluge.

1.Be a registered voter in Illinois (obviously, that won't help you)
2.Use Tivo to avoid commercials as much as possible (happiness is the "boo-BOOP" sound accompanying a thirty-second skip)
3.Be a registered independent.

OK, dismounting from my high horse...

Salieri said...

Good news! I'm going to be in town for your wedding.

Bad news! I'm going to be in town because my brother is getting married on the same day, so I probably won't be at your wedding.

Anonymous said...

I haven't been invited, yet.