Monday, September 17, 2007

Balls of Fury

*** out of *****


Those of you who know Your RHS know that he enjoys dumb comedy - nay, he lives for it. Dumb comedies make the world go 'round for this guy.

Hence it should come as no surprise that I made it to my local movie house to take in a showing of Balls of Fury.

Many of the elements were there for a successful stupid film - ridiculous premise, Christopher Walken, that guy who played Snotty in Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise - yet when all was said and done something seemed to be missing. I laughed many a time, and I'm sure repeated viewings will make it an even better film, but some things just didn't click.

I don't enjoy saying this about any dumb comedy, but the plot felt rushed, and the romantic storyline felt strained and awkward. The writers couldn't seem to make up their mind whether they were spoofing Bruce Lee movies or making a wacky ping pong film.

That being said, the opening flashback sequence is priceless, and Diedrich Bader shows up in a KICK ASS cameo.

Did I mention the Revenge of the Nerds 2 connection? Maybe I forgot to mention that. I should.

It's no La Bamba, but Balls of Fury will do in a pinch.


Yes, I know the guy's name is James Hong. Did you know that without looking it up?

No comments: