Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Brothers Solomon


** out of *****

I saw ads for this movie, heard people say how terrible it looked, and still wanted to see it.

I heard direct comments from people who saw the movie on opening weekend who hated it more than you can ever imagine, and I still wanted to see it.

I read that the studio released it on only 700 screens in an effort to dump it as quickly as possible, and I still wanted to see it.

I saw that it finished 24th at the box office on its opening weekend with a gross just under $600,000, and I still wanted to see it.

With those impossibly high standards in mind, I took in The Brothers Solomon.

Everyone who walked out of this movie before it ended - justified. Everyone who stumbled out after the credits with a stunned look on their face - justified. Everyone who made it a point of saying how terrible and horrible and no good very bad this film was - justified.

I laughed. Often.

The Brothers Solomon is a bad movie. It does not try to be a good movie. Aside from a terrible span in the final act, the movie is at least watchable, and had a strange knack for turning what started as tired gags into clever jokes at the end.

However, the movie plodded in places and lost its ability to entertain in others.

It gets one star for making me laugh in places, and one star for wheeling Lee Majors' still-living-yet-obviously-embalmed corpse onto the set every day.

Also - a high Chi McBride content in a stupid comedy is never bad thing.

Wait for it to be on Comedy Central, friends, and then hope that you've still got a few PBR's in the 'fridge to make it funnier.

1 comment:

Saravá! said...

I don't think I even saw a trailer for this movie.

BTW, I am still waiting for the RHS's review of _The Simspons Movie_. It's on my required reading list!