Sunday, October 21, 2007

You Know What I Hate?

I hate being so right about an Iowa game.

Getting your ass kicked by the favorite sons of Wilford Brimley is no way to impress Your RHS.

Iowa is a bad bad bad football team. Injuries are a small part of that. Constant off-the-field distractions, sluggish on-field efforts, poor coaching decisions...they make up a bigger portion of the problem.

I won't lie and say wins and losses don't matter to me - they do. They matter very much. If you're not prepared to put a competitive team on the field every year at Iowa, don't bother applying for the job.

What concerns me more is the constant stream of problems that happen off the field. Problems that involve the local constabulary. Players stealing credit cards. Players driving drunk. Players urinating in public then running to avoid the ticket. Players threatening their live in girlfriends. Rumors are swirling now about another pair of players who may have been involved in a significant illegal act.

One thing I know Gary Barta won't do is sit on his a** while this goes on. Iowa fans have patted each other on the back for years telling each other that Iowa wins (or loses) the "right" way. Those days are over. Sure, Iowa isn't paying the players (or they haven't been caught doing it, anyway), but it's high time someone began enforcing some meaningful discipline on the players in the football program. Their place on the team and their scholarships are neither one a right, they're privileges - privileges which many current and former members of the football program seem unable to understand.

My best bet is that as bad as Iowa has been this year, they finish 5-7. Minnesota and Western Michigan aren't exactly setting the world on fire. Still, it's hard for me to put much of an emotional investment in the current band of thugs trotting out and showing no heart on a weekly basis.

That being said, I'll be in my seat at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday hoping the Hawkeyes can beat Michigan State. If they decide to put the game in the hands of a quarterback who is clearly not ready to win a game on his own, they will get blown out. MSU could put up 60 if Iowa doesn't run the ball. If they think that unlike every other game this year, their receivers are suddenly going to start running good routes, getting separation, and catching the G** d***ed ball, the coaching staff is drinking a brand of Kool-Aid I'd like to try.

38-10 Michigan State is my sad prediction for this weekend. I think Iowa could go out and beat Sparty, I just question if the coaches and players will put the team in a position to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I share your thoughts. Last night on the Big Ten Network (Directv subscriber here), they have a running series of the Big Ten's greatest games. Well, last night it was the Oct. 5, 2002 game against Purdue in which Iowa played like crap, but won because of huge special teams' plays and a late 4th down conversion to Dallas Clark. I thought to myself: how did Kirk Ferentz turn a bunch of walk ons into pros and recruit this level of talent all on one team and then start tapering off each successive year? Was he lucky? Can he not adapt?